IT’S EASTER! And here at Citylight we’re celebrating the Resurrection of Christ a bit differently this year; rather than defend the resurrection, Pastor Matt wants to talk to us about what to do with it!
The big idea of our passage this Easter is: Bless God for raising Jesus from the dead.
In this sermon, Pastor Matt shows us how The Resurrection brings:
(1) new birth
(2) living hope
(3) unshakeable joy.
Big Idea: Bless the Lord for the Resurrection
- Redeems our past
- Give hope in the present
- Secures our future
1 Peter, NIV Application Commentary, by Scot McKnight
1-2 Peter: An Expositional Commentary, by RC Sproul
15 Things Jesus Accomplished on the Cross
- He absorbed the wrath of God
- He canceled the demands of the law against his people
- He gave his life as a ransom
- He completed the obedience that is credited to us
- He made us holy
- He provided for our healing
- He gave us access to the father
- He closed the Old Testament priesthood
- He freed us from our slavery to sin
- He gave us real reason to boast
- He provided an example of selfless love
- He freed us from the fear of death
- He made a way for us to be with him immediately when we die
- He restored all the nations of the world to God
- He secured our resurrection from the dead
Fifty Reasons Why Jesus Came to Die, by John Piper
As our hearts ache over the suffering Jesus went through on our behalf, we’re keeping the message simple this Good Friday and looking at 2 Corinthians 5:21. The Big Idea of our passage, and the points Pastor Matt will be breaking down are: Christ became what we are that we might become what He is.